Gyrodyne QH-50D, c/n DS-1482
|Gyrodyne QH-50D DASH (Drone Anti-Submarine
Helicopter), c/n DS-1482, was delivered to The Museum on 2nd October
2014 after transport by road from Liverpool Docks where it had arrived
on 22 September 2014 after shipment from the port of Long Beach,
California. Crating for shipment had been carried out by the Robinson
Helicopter Company at their nearby Torrance facility.
radio-controlled, surveillance and anti-submarine helicopter,
with coaxial, contra-rotating rotors, built in mid-1966, was one
of more than 800 produced, in different versions, by the Gyrodyne
Company in St.James, Long Island, New York.
|This and other production
examples of the QH-50D were powered by one 365 shp (272 kW) Boeing
T50-BO-12 turboshaft engine, built in Seattle.
DS-1482 was photographed (left) in the Museum's conservation hangar two days after arrival. It has since been cleaned of Mojave Desert sand and fully assembled before being placed on public display on 28th March 2015.